northern lights

northern lights
image

Friday 6 September 2013

7 reasons why I love Delhi.







Today is the sixth day of Write Tribe Festival of Words and I am participating .My topic for today is, 7 reasons why I love Delhi.


A view of a road at Connaught Place showing busy traffic





This is a view of Connaught Place of New Delhi. How beautiful is it!No body will deny that Delhi is comparable to any other  capital city of the world. I have  lived in this city since birth ie. seventy seven years ago(except for brief periods).I love this city.There are several reasons for me to  love this city, but I will list '7' reasons which make me say 'Dilli Meri Dilli'.


1.   It is a historical city  which amalgamates with  modernity very well. It has  ancient buildings  dating to the days of the  Mahabharata like Purana Qila (Old Fort).  Hardly a kilometre from here are  examples of  modern wonders like, Supreme court of India, India Gate, Rashtrapati Bhawan, North and South Blocks,  Parliament House,  depicting architectural beauty of modern India.There are many buildings of tourist interest like Kutub Minar, Red Fort ,Lotus Temple and many more. A few photographs are given below:-

Rashtrapati Bhawan
Purana Qila
India Gate
Supreme Court of India
Parliament House


                                    







kutub Minar

                                   
Lotus Temple


Red Fort









2.The roads of New Delhi are wide, which makes driving easy.Introduction of Delhi Metro has reduced the traffic to some extent.

3. All kinds of food joint are found here. From posh Hotels like Ashoka, Maurya and several others to street food selling Gol guppas, chane bhature and even pizzas, momos and        chowmein and many more eatables are sold on roadside. See the contrast in the pictures below:-



Ashoka Hotel
A street vendor selling pani puri









4.   People from all countries stay in New Delhi. We find different cultures, different  styles of dresses and different languages coexisting. There are several institutes for teaching foreign languages.

5. Delhi is a center for learning different arts like music, dance, architecture etc. There are many institutions like Bhartiya Kala Kendra, National Museum

6. There  are several  schools, colleges and institutions like colleges for Medicine, Engineering,Architecture, Nursing etc. According to a report in a prominent national newspaper Delhi University is among the first hundred Universities in the world,the only one in India in the list. 

7.Delhi experiences all  the classical weathers ie.  Summer, Spring, Winter and Monsoons.After every two or three months we look forward to change in the weather. Hence there is no monotony. Celhi winter is the most welcome not only for the inhabitants but for tourists. There is an influx of tourists from all over the world.


There are many more reasons for  loving this city,which are personal like I got married, had two two brilliant and talented children, who have equally bright spouses and four sweet grand children. The pleasant memories keep me going.


WTFestivalofWordspics courtesy google                


44 comments:

  1. I have visited Dilli once and loved it. I loved the Jantar-Mantar , purana Qilla and the Lotus Temple,.
    The Birla mandir and the ISCKON Mandir are divine. The food is equally great. One thing I miss about Mumbai is the wide and clean roads, the open green spaces that Dilli has. Kehate hai Dilli dilwalo ka sehar hai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalpana.There is so much to see in Delhi, which I could not cover in 7 points.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andhra Bhavan in Delhi was the place to visit to when you got the cravings for the sambar rice and rasam rice! Not to mention the chicken fry that was accompanied. the chaat at GK, the momos at Dilli Haat and the parathas outside IIT delhi. Life was perfect!

    http://pratsmusings.com/2013/09/06/7-years/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pratibha there are endless eating joints in Delhi, which are excellent.

      Delete
  4. I've visited Delhi many times. It's a great city to visit. Connaught place looks very different now. Thanks for sharing brought back some memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy. Delhi is changing so fast that every time you go out you find some thing new.

      Delete
  5. Ahh, thank you for taking me along virtually on a tour of your beautiful city! Maybe someday I will visit to experience it firsthand. I would enjoy the sites and especially the food! Thank you!
    Penny
    http://pennymcdanielspiritualguidance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny you are welcome to Delhi. I am sure you will have a great experience!

      Delete
  6. I think this is the second post on Delhi I am reading in this Festival of Words. City love happens after we find our comfort zone in the city after which it ceases to be a place and becomes a personal journey.

    Congrats on being featured in the Write Tribe Blog, Usha.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usha Ma'am, agree with you 100%. I am blessed to be living in Delhi and have graduated from the prestigious Delhi University. It indeed is Dilwaalon ki Dilli with people from all parts of the world. Love Delhi, and loved your post as much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely showcase of Delhi, Ushaji!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having lived in Delhi for 16 years I can vibe with this. Only one amendment for me - I HATE the summers but love those winters. It is an unfortunate fact that my Himalayan treks always are in Summer and my annual visits to Delhi en route always happens in Summer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must live in Delhi to enjoy the winter.

      Delete
  10. Despite many flaws Delhi is still saddi Dilli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't look at the flaws.Look at the positive side.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful tribute to Delhi. I've visited Delhi many times, and even got married here:) But there is so much of Delhi that I am yet to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WAD.You must have got very sweet memories Of Delhi.

      Delete
  12. The architecture of Delhi is awesome!! I loved the pictures you shared and learning more about this fabulous city in your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kathy, the architecture is really unique.You are welcome to Delhi,and I will be happy if you stay with us.

      Delete
  13. Your lovely post shows your love for Delhi...very clearly you have highlighted the story of Delhi life...Great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in Delhi for two days, visited Red Fort, India Gate and nearby areas. I must say the liveliness of the place is infectious :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mrs Usha Menon. I love Delhi and was there for a week last year. I visited Connaught place, Qutub Minar and traveled in Metro. I love the city and, of course, Select City Walk malls. It is a charming city and wouldn't mind working there for a year or two. Beautiful city:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vishal.It IS a beautiful city without doubt.

      Delete
  16. In my opinion,where you stay,city grows on you.
    I have spent half my life in Bombay,I loved it.Having come back to Delhi is a pleasant change

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Usha mam, after hearing all the pessimistic points about Delhi, this post is breath of fresh here. I can’t agree more, it’s a city of diverse ethnicity, food, culture, language & love. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anu,the painful incidents you are talking about happen every where.Delhi, being the capital city, such incidents get highlighted. I read in the news that Bhopal is the rape capital.

      Delete
  18. I was born in Delhi. I remember visiting this place when I was a child. We were set agape by the lovely city. This is one place that I visit most often.

    I love it for the same reasons that you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava, Delhi has completely changed in the last few years.It IS really beautiful.

      Delete
  19. I love delhi too but with the recent incidents...feel really sad for this city esp being our capital.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruchira the recent incidents were highlighted by the media. There is no city/town/village where such things don't happen. Bhopal is the latest rape capital, according to newspaper reports.

      Delete
  20. This post made me nostalgic, Usha. I was born and bred in Delhi....Memories of the capital city are inextricably linked with me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :Panchali childhood memories are very sweet.

      Delete
  21. I come to Delhi for work mostly, I love Delhi for all its modern infrastructure, greenery, food... but somehow I have never felt safe there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa next time when you come to Delhi, you must stay with us.

      Delete
  22. The metropolis is live with the living style of cosmopolitan gathering.Nice write-up and alluring photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's always good to visit Delhi :)

    ReplyDelete